Friday, December 17, 2010

Rhythmic Gymnastics

So, I'm writing this time in order to inform you about the sport which I probably succeed in most (though that's not saying much), the little known sport of rhythmic gymnastics. Though many people assume it to be the same as regular, "artistic" gymnastics in actuality it is quite different.

Rather than being for shot girls to catapult them into the air, this sport requires flexibility and grace. Most of the practices consist of extreme stretching ( Yes, my coach made me cry) and conditioning along with the training for new skills involving the ball, hoop, rope, batons, or ribbon. If you're curious as to what that looks like I'd be happy to show you.

As I was in a competition group for a year I can tell you what a routine looks like as well, though I never actually got the opportunity to. Firstly, It only involves the floor. There is no beam, bars, vault, or the like. Routines consist of a dance involving one apparatus at a time and lots of flexibility moves such as walkovers, and other moves that I do not know that words for in English. The routine goes to a snazzy piece of music, and viola! You have your rhythmic gymnastics routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment